Senior Director of Digital, Data, and Technology
ProgressNow Senior Director of Digital, Data, and Technology
For more information or to apply now, visit https://mesosolutions.recruitee.com/o/senior-director-of-data-tech-digital.
Who We Are
ProgressNow is the communications & digital nerve center for the progressive movement. Our state hubs deliver electoral & policy victories. As core infrastructure, we move millions of voters across our state network through data-driven best practices, organic & paid digital content, and decades of expertise.
Our 26 affiliates serve as a marketing shop for the progressive community. Behind the scenes, we facilitate communications and digital tables that align and coordinate the community behind a shared message and strategy. From staffing issue coalitions, developing message and communications calendars, and training and pitching spokespeople to developing digital content for partners and coordinating digital ad buys to maximize impact, we organize the progressive community’s communications for maximum impact.
What You’ll Do:
As the Senior Director of Digital, Data, and Technology, you will think strategically in order to expand and sustain successful digital, data, and technology infrastructure for our affiliate network. We’re expanding the team dedicated to this area of affiliate support and growing upon a strong foundation. While ProgressNow has many tools that are already in place, we need to continue to scale our digital training and technical assistance to our network of 26 state affiliates. This role requires you to center the needs of our affiliate network and ensure that our internal goals are focused on short and long term impact. The person in this role will manage and lead data staff and digital staff as well as contribute to the overall management and strategic direction of ProgressNow as a member of the leadership team.
As the Senior Director of Digital, Data, and Technology, you can expect to manage and support:
- Develop and lead trainings and provide strategic guidance and best practices to ProgressNow affiliates on:
- Social media programs and platforms
- ActionKit 101, ActionKit 201
- Email programs
- Digital Ad programs, like FB Ad training and audience targeting
- SMS program training
- Collaborate with the digital manager to survey and evaluate affiliate staff on data, digital, and technology skills and programs that will help inform future training offerings and programs
- Work across departments to produce engaging and effective programming for the ProgressNow affiliate network
- Support ProgressNow’s data staff in their data visualization, reporting, and analysis of data generated by the Megaphone app
- Work with data team and other departments to integrate systems and facilitate org-wide data syncing to create effective data flow, using SQL and datahouse queries
- Oversee technical support tickets for ActionKit and AWS and problem solve when digital or data staff escalate tickets
- Consult on the development of the Megaphone app–ProgressNow’s custom organic content distribution software
- Understand and ensure effective administration of the technology and software platforms ProgressNow provides to affiliates, including Actionkit, AWS, Meltwater, and Infegy.
- Monitor the digital and technology landscape to stay abreast of new developments in experiments, best practices, and new tools and services and make recommendations for ProgressNow’s implementation
Who You Are
- Wide range of data, tech, and digital experience: This role requires a depth and breadth of knowledge, not only of technical savvy requirements but also of ways to adopt technology for a digital organizing and communications-focused environment.
- 5 – 7 years of managing digital, data, and tech teams or programs, preferably in the non-profit or progressive political advocacy space
- Demonstrated ability to create guidelines and implementation for new tech and data developments found through data collection and analysis
- An understanding of progressive specific tools like ActionKit is helpful
- Experience with a range of commonly used tools and skills: AWS administration, SQL and relational databases, content management systems
- Familiarity with social media and digital management tools, with an understanding of ad buying is helpful
- Communication skills: You’re a skilled verbal and written communicator. You have the ability to explain technical terms, needs, and or deliverables to non-technical individuals. You’re open and empathetic with ProgressNow affiliate staff, meeting them where they’re at, valuing their skills and learning, and never shaming their starting point.
- Relationship builder: You connect with colleagues and affiliates across levels of power to build authentic relationships in order to support them in their work. Supporting, investing in, and leveling up our affiliates and staff while recognizing their achievements and expertise is a core component to this role.
- Proactively advances equity outcomes: Internally and externally, you identify decisions, policies, or practices that have disparate impacts based on identity. You hold racial and social equity as a priority to ensure ProgressNow’s programs and policies reflect our goals and values. You bring an equity lens to your evaluation and recommendations of affiliate programs to ensure they’re authentically reaching and engaging a diverse audience.
- Inclusive leadership: You exercise authority without asserting dominance and bring a clear vision while recognizing the value of divergent perspectives. You approach leadership with a mindset of “power with” rather than “power over” and regularly include others in planning and decision-making.
- Coach and learning mentality: You help others grow and use empathetic coaching, training, and feedback to develop others and support problem-solving. You see mistakes as learning opportunities and engage well with feedback. You’re open to the ideas and collaboration of all staff.
What Else You Should Know
ProgressNow is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our issues. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply.
The position is full-time and fully remote. The role requires 15% travel. Expected travel includes one annual staff retreat and two ProgressNow conferences.
Salary and Benefits
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front. The salary for this position is $108,000 annually.
Our benefits package includes the following:
- Unlimited vacation with a requirement that each staff member take at least 2 weeks each year.
- Eight paid holidays as well as an office closure annually between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Employer paid health, dental and vision insurance
- 401K plan with 3% employer match
- Annual professional development stipend
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) is required for employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is granted.