Senior Systems Administrator
The Education Trust (Ed Trust) seeks a Senior Systems Administrator to join its IT department. The Senior Systems Administrator, IT will join a staff who are committed to fulfilling our mission of closing opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds.
The Senior Systems Administrator configures, maintains, and secures the hardware, software, network, and cloud-based information technology systems and applications utilized at Ed Trust’s national and satellite offices across the country by in-person and remote staff members. The Senior Systems Administrator also serves as the subject matter expert with cybersecurity systems, policies, and practices to prevent data breaches and system compromise. This role is also responsible for providing staff training on Ed Trust’s systems and serves as an escalation point for staff-submitted support tickets that affect a subset of all staff members or that otherwise require more experience to resolve.
Ed Trust is committed to advancing policies and practices to dismantle the racial and economic barriers embedded in the U.S. education system. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust improves equity in education from preschool through college, engages diverse communities dedicated to equity and justice, and increases political and public will to build an education system where all students will thrive.
This role, available immediately, is based in our Washington, DC office and is eligible for telework for up to 3 days per week. The Senior Systems Administrator reports to the Director of IT. Occasional travel may be required to various Ed Trust offices for hardware installation, configuration and maintenance in collaboration with the Director of IT.
The responsibilities and objectives for the role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the IT Director in creating and executing the organization’s IT strategy and related workplans focused on ensuring the organization’s technology needs are met and providing timely and relevant solutions to IT challenges and opportunities
- Analyze complex organization technology system needs and requirements; identify goals, objectives and problems, examine alternatives; develop recommendations and implement solutions; develop project plans; monitor the work of others
- Serve as the subject matter expert on organization-wide cybersecurity policies and practices in collaboration with the Director of IT, informing the conceptualization and development of related policies and practices and managing related projects
- Develop and provide training and expertise to staff on hardware, software, cloud-based, and A/V systems as well as cybersecurity policies and practices to support compliance
- Provide Tier 2 and Tier 3 IT support on complex IT issues for staff across the organization during and after standard work hours, as well as A/V webinar and virtual event support
- Deploy, administer, and maintain systems in offices and conference rooms across the country, both physically and virtually
- Collaborate with IT leadership to identify, design, and implement cloud solutions, and implement and monitor cloud-based storage systems
- May manage and support 1-2 staff and/or interns as appropriate, and provide mentoring to other IT staff to support their growth and development and build the capacity of the team
- Shared belief in Ed Trust’s mission and a commitment to improving educational equity with a focus on racial equity
- Dedication in contributing to and maintaining an equitable working environment
- Customer-service orientation, with the ability to serve employees at all levels in the organization with timeliness, precision, and efficiency
- Substantial skills and experience with Microsoft Azure platform and more than one MDM system (e.g., Microsoft InTune, Meraki Systems Manager, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and enthusiasm for new technology/advancing technology to solve problems
- Continuous learner
- People management skills
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective public presentation techniques
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks
- Sound judgement and decisiveness
- Familiarity with use of common hand and power tools
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- At least a high school diploma or GED equivalent with IT certifications, including CompTIA Security+ (or equivalent such as SSCP, GSEC), CompTIA A+ (or equivalent such as Microsoft Technology Associate), and Microsoft Azure related certifications
- Substantial relevant experience working in IT, with progressively increasing responsibilities
- Substantial experience designing and supporting Azure environments, including IaaS, PaaS and SaaS
- Practices and techniques of advanced computing skills, networking technologies, database management, imaging software and virtual environments.
- Experience with nonprofit sector technology, practices and trends, including system development and administration is a plus
- Valid Class C driver’s license
This position falls in Level D of our salary structure for our Washington, DC office. New hire offers typically fall between the minimum and mid-point of the range: $76,880 – $96,100. Offers will be commensurate with skills and experience. The full salary range for the position is $76,880 – $115,320.
The Education Trust prioritizes the health and well-being of its employees and, to that end, offers a highly competitive benefits package. Medical, dental and vision insurance are covered at 100% for the employee, with significant coverage also offered for spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. We provide sick leave, vacation leave, and personal leave, and we follow the federal government for most holiday closures. To ensure staff have synchronous opportunities for rest and renewal, the office is closed for a week-long summer break and a week-long winter break. Among other offerings, we provide an Employee Assistance Program at no cost to the employee, and a generous 7% contribution opportunity on a 403(b)-retirement plan.
At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees are required to be fully vaccinated and remain up to date on their vaccinations for COVID-19. New hires should be fully vaccinated and up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources.
The Education Trust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.