Data Scientist – Machine Learning
Blue Rose Research develops a wide range of cutting-edge products used by the most important progressive organizations in the country. Our research informs short- and long-term strategy for advancing progressive causes and has a trusted track record among key decision makers.
The team has a storied history and has worked with central players to develop strategy and direct hundreds of millions of dollars of resources. The work produced by Blue Rose Research is widely regarded as among the most technically sophisticated in the space. If you join us, you’ll be plugging into a diverse team of decorated engineers, data scientists and political analysts who are closely connected to some of the most important decision makers in the progressive ecosystem.
We are looking for a data scientist to help develop applied statistical models and own end-to-end ML pipelines that enable us to quickly and precisely measure the effectiveness of messages from randomized controlled experiments. This role requires full-stack data science skills, and will closely collaborate with our interdisciplinary team to scope technical needs, contribute new functionality to our machine learning framework, wrangle messy data and write ETL, train and iterate on models, and own modeling output that will be delivered to client-facing stakeholders.
We’re a fast and dynamic team, and you’ll be contributing to innovative work that evolves week by week. We’re looking for you to bring your passion for data science, a strong attention to detail, and a desire to make a big impact — sometimes under tight timelines.
We offer a competitive salary, medical, dental, and health benefits, and a work environment that will support your differences.
While the work is remote, we do have an office in NYC and a number of team members who work in-person regularly. Most of our team is on East Coast time.
- Help build out a suite of end-to-end modeling pipelines to produce high-quality estimates of message effectiveness. Improve pipeline reliability, data quality checks, and model diagnostics to increase confidence in our modeling outputs.
- Build models, perform feature engineering, and contribute new ideas to improve our core data science approach. Our problems are not well suited to plug and play machine learning solutions and we often have to think creatively about the right ways to evaluate model performance.
- Deliver actionable guidance to important internal stakeholders, helping them understand nuances of the model output.
- Build subject matter context and think critically about what the data is saying to understand what’s real signal versus what’s a potential bug.
Our ideal candidate likely:
- Has 2+ years of professional data science and/or machine learning experience.
- Has significant experience with applied statistics and predictive modeling, including in randomized controlled experiments. Has developed strong instincts about how to select the right modeling approach for a problem, evaluate model performance, and diagnose and debug modeling issues.
- Has strong data-wrangling experience, and ideally knows SQL and relational databases. Can quickly orient themselves to a new dataset, perform exploratory analysis, combine data from multiple datasets, spot data quality issues, and justify decisions about how to handle imperfect data.
- Is a confident Python programmer. Our ideal candidate would be able to navigate our Python codebase and implement extensions, for example using object oriented classes.
- Has experience building and owning production-level modeling pipelines using real-world data.
- Can work with custom statistical models to understand their performance, develop custom, statistically rigorous metrics to understand performance, and use visualizations to find performance gaps (e.g. matplotlib, ggplot, or similar).
- Thrives in multi-disciplinary teams working with engineers, statisticians and political experts. Is excited about working with less technical stakeholders and seeing how their work impacts real-world decision making.
- Is willing to engage with the wider progressive political ecosystem and develop domain knowledge in addition to technical insight.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills, especially in a remote environment.
- Is a kind person and a team player who contributes to a warm working environment.
We don’t expect every applicant to have expertise in every area listed above. We encourage you to apply if you don’t feel your experience and background sound like a perfect fit. Many of our team members have taken an unusual path to get to where they are today, and our unique and diverse perspectives make us more effective. We also believe strongly in our team’s ability to learn and excel at new skills and challenges. Join us!
The salary range for this position is $130,000 – $170,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
Candidates must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States.