Data, Security & Analytics Director
The Florida Democratic Party (FDP) is seeking an experienced and passionate Data, Security & Analytics Director. The Director will be responsible for managing access to the statewide voter file, monitoring its use, and supporting senior leadership with strategic voter-contact analysis. The Director will work with and advise the senior executive team, the data team, County and Party officials, and the field team on all things related to data and analytics — allowing the Party to better communicate department metrics, improve field targeting and voter contact so that we can make data driven decisions on all Party investments and programs.
At the Florida Democratic Party we view the data department’s core competency is to solve problems that involve data and information, to inform all of our investment and programmatic decisions with quality data and to protect that data using sophisticated tools and training. As part of this core competency, we administer the VAN (our CRM) in partnership with county parties and campaigns. We create reports to support the work that staff and volunteers are doing throughout the state of Florida. And, we implement and train our candidates, elected officials, Party leadership and partners on cyber security and data security best practices. The data team is responsible for targeting, using maps and statistical analysis to ensure we are speaking to the voters who most need to hear from us, that we are tracking progress to goals across all departments and ultimately that we are using data, analytics, new technologies and cutting edge cyber security tools to ensure Democrats win.
- Assist the State Party Staff with data needs, especially visualizing and leading the development of metrics driven reporting across departments, campaigns and regional and statewide Democratic Clubs, Caucuses and County Parties.
- Be the single person in the state responsible to the State Party Chair and Executive Director for ensuring that Democrats are using technology effectively and taking responsibility for solving problems as necessary.
- Keep the State Party Executive Director apprised of all relevant technology issues in the state.
- Manage a department that ensures that campaigns, elected officials and Party stakeholders are getting data needs addressed effectively and efficiently.
- Properly maintaining the voter file.
- Manage a department that interfaces with campaign managers including potential Coordinated Campaign leadership to provide technical perspective at the strategic and tactical levels.
- Manage a department that provides prompt customer service to party leaders, candidates, and their staff by providing access to the Voter File, training on its use, and troubleshooting any issues that arise.
- Use political sense to give advice to clients and suggest queries or modifications to data requests where appropriate.
- Ensure that all users are able to use the online voter file effectively.
- Work with the Party executive team to experiment with and recommend new technologies, security measures, tools and best practices that improve the Party’s brand, helps to elect more Democrats or more widely communicate our message.
- Manage the data and back end of all FDP technology tools (Hustle, Mobilize America, Ballot Ready, etc.)
- Provide IT support where necessary; manage all IT programs and inventory.
- Manage all technology-related contracts for the State Party in a cost-effective manner.
Qualifications and Skills
- Diligent Work Ethic: our team will work long hours, especially as we get closer to election day. We will prioritize working smart but we will also work hard.
- Good Listener: many of our colleagues don’t come from a technical background. They won’t always know what’s possible or even what to ask us for. Part of your job is to listen closely, use common sense, and discern their true needs so that we can solve real problems.
- Regular interaction with County Parties, elected officials and volunteer data teams across the state.
- Prior experience as staff on a campaign (field experience preferred).
- Demonstrated data analysis and writing skills, preferably in a political environment
- At least two campaign cycles in data or analytics.
- Fluency in G-Suite, VAN, Vertica, SQL and/or Python.
- Possess advanced Excel functions and formatting skills.
- Ability to create GIS maps with data layers.
- Past use of scripting or macros to automate tasks or manage large datasets.
- Experience writing and designing software, particularly if it integrates with APIs.
- Familiarity with challenges that relate to campaign field programs involving turf, literature, capacity, etc.
- Ability to create reports using Tableau or other data visualizations.
- A positive, customer-service oriented personality and the ability to respond to issues promptly.
- Expertise with statistical/predictive models and probabilities, precinct targeting, and their application to voter targeting/segmentation.
- Experience standardizing data from multiple sources to produce complex reports.
- Ability to collect raw political data from Supervisors of Elections and other sources and converting it to usable form for analysis; scrubbing and matching acquired lists to back up the voter file.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time.
- Must be able to travel often for several days at a time.
- Office hours are 9:00 – 6:00, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
Salary & Benefits
- The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth. This is a full-time position and available immediately. Position salary is negotiable and based on experience. Position includes full health, dental, and vision benefits.