Director of Data Engineering
The DCCC is hiring a Director of Data Engineering for the 2022 campaign cycle. The Director of Data Engineering will be responsible for managing multiple data sources primarily in Google’s Big Query, the Committee’s data architecture and pipelines, and ETL processes for external data from vendors. The Director of Data Engineering will be a thought leader in the Committee’s strategic use of data and technology, particularly in creating a data-driven culture to enhance the collection and analysis of campaign and engagement data.
• Centralize data from various sources across multiple databases to create a standardized data model for the DCCC for voter file and voter contact data.
• Develop and maintain the DCCC data infrastructure to further accurate and reliable analysis.
• Automate processes, procedures, and coding frameworks to facilitate the core work of the analytics team.
• Build and maintain ETL workflows for internal and external products and tools.
• Work with vendors to ensure timely and accurate delivery of data.
• Represent the DCCC with other committees, national partners, coordinated campaigns and state parties to maximize the DCCC’s data warehouse and ensure data integrity.
• Create the foundation for reports that impact cross-department teams, including Field, Digital and Political.
• Train and develop best practices for analysis staff regarding SQL, Python, GIS mapping and analytical reporting.
• A range of other duties as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Several years of data engineering or analytics experience in politics or technology.
• Experience manipulating large data sets and developing strong quality control measures to ensure data integrity.
• Strong SQL and analytical database experience – strong preference for BigQuery
• Strong Python experience with a focus on ETL and API integration tasks
• Comfortable using Google Sheets/Excel for data analysis as well as more advanced tools like Python or R.
• At least one-year experience using DBT for data warehouse management
• Ability to present technical concepts to and develop trainings for a non-technical audience.
• Familiarity with database architecture and modern data workflows, particularly as they relate to campaign data.
• Familiarity with web-based voter files tools, such as VAN, Catalist and PDI and Census data.
• Experience in taking over and maintaining existing code bases as well as developing your own projects from scratch
• Experience with business intelligence and data visualization software such as Tableau (preferred), PowerBI, Looker, Google Data Studio among others.
• Draws from team members’ strengths, empowering them to maximize their talents; contributes where needed to achieve and exceed goals; mentors and guides colleagues with regular feedback and recognition; clearly lays out vision and expectations to the team
• Proactively fosters an inclusive atmosphere and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
• Ability to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant and productive ways
• Personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.
• Proven interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships with staff at all levels
Skills and Qualifications (Preferred):
While no candidate is expected to possess all these qualities, a strong candidate may possess or demonstrate many of the following skills or experiences:
• Experience with DNC tools such as Phoenix and Portal.
• Experience scripting for the VAN API.
• Database ETL frameworks and tools such as Airflow or DBT.
• Familiarity using statistical tools such as R, Stata, SAS or SPSS.
• Software development or maintenance of larger code mases.
• Campaign political experience, particularly working in field or working closely with a field team.
• Knowledge of common metrics used to track media spending.
• Familiarity with data science principles and practice.
Why You Should Work Here:
• We recognize and reward hard work with a high-quality benefits package that includes:
o More than 25 days of paid time off, including holidays, time off around holidays, vacation, and sick days.
o Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance
o Up to 4% retirement employer match contribution
o Monthly mobile phone stipend
o Monthly use-it-or-lose-it transit benefits for employees located in the DC region
• Opportunity to contribute at a growing, dynamic national political committee working to sustain the Democratic congressional majority to advocate on issues America care about most.
• Learn, develop and hone professional skills related to running and operating multi-dimensional political campaigns and the operating systems that support the campaigns.
• Experience working with the largest Democratic battlefield, containing numerous highly competitive campaigns in diverse districts across the nation.
• Opportunities to expand your network and engage with policy makers, political candidates, Democratic Party leaders and a diverse team of professionals and colleagues.
• Gain experience in cross-team interaction and exposure to other functions and departments within the DCCC.
• Equity and inclusion are actively integrated into decisions made at Senior Team and Department levels with regard to hiring, contracting, and political strategy
• Professional Development programming dedicated to personal and professional growth beyond the 2022 election cycle)
About the DCCC:
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) is the official national Democratic campaign committee charged with electing Democrats to the U. S. House of Representatives. The DCCC recruits Democratic candidates and supports Democratic campaigns – both challengers and Democratic incumbent Members – with a variety of services including field operations, fundraising support, communications assistance, digital strategy, research support and management consulting. In addition, the DCCC’s Independent Expenditure supports these campaigns with television, radio, digital, and other voter contact efforts. The DCCC is supported by the contributions of individuals and organizations, along with Democratic Members, from throughout the country. We look for talented and hard-working professionals who are committed to electing Democrats and protecting the House majority.