Senior Database Specialist
District of Columbia (DC)
PURPOSE: This position is responsible for working with the SEIU Political Department, local unions, and partner organizations to enhance their ability to track, report, and analyze political campaign performance, activity and organizing.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Works with the SEIU Political and Data Systems and Analytics (DSA) Departments to build political targeting and data plans for targeted elections, from the presidential election to local municipal races.
- Partners with the political and DSA teams, union locals, and on-the-ground canvassing teams to execute electoral campaigns
- Assists the International Union (IU), local unions, and partner organizations to identify, diagnose and implement improvements to political data dataflows.
- Develops and implements training in the use of campaign data.
- Creates reports and builds internal data infrastructure with the IU, local unions, and partner organizations.
- Provides guidance and advice to the IU, local unions, and partner organizations on how to use technology to better track and report political activity.
- Provides guidance and advice that enhances voter lists, activist lists, and other data to enhance political program development.
- Works closely with department staff to develop systems that help the IU, local unions, and partner organizations track campaign and local union member engagement goals.
- Develops and maintains on-going relationships with partners and local union data and technology staff to understand and fix their data challenges.
- Represents SEIU in internal and external forums and maintains relations with SEIU locals and state councils.
- Imports and exports files between formats and programs such as Microsoft Excel, SQL, delimited text files, and a variety of file formats.
- Integrates field data with internal and external data sources in order to provide enhanced analysis of political efforts
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of SEIU’s programs and priorities.
DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING: This position reports to the Senior Data Strategist for Politics.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree and at least three (3) years of political, issue or union internal and external organizing campaigns experience or at least one (1) year experience in data. Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of labor unions and how local unions operate
- Knowledge of strategies and tactics to recruit, educate, mobilize and develop members
- Knowledge of data automation techniques and proven strategies
- Knowledge of local union dues and member tracking systems, field tools and digital media outreach methods
- Ability to work with both technical staff and local field staff
- Knowledge of working on political, internal, and local union operations
- Knowledge of databases (e.g. Voter Activation Network – VAN, and Catalist)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type
- Ability to provide simplified and clear explanations of complex data and systems
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in politically sensitive situations
- Ability to handle multiple sensitive assignments in a timely manner
- Ability to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes
- Ability to analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions
- Ability to look beyond the standard solutions
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Google suite
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work can be performed remotely or at headquarters in Washington, DC. Long and extended hours and travel are required.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Twelve (12) months.