Temporary Data Manager
Full-time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Contiguous U.S. Starts as soon as possible, ideally no later than March 4th, 2024, Ends Nov. 22, 2024
We encourage applications by February 16, 2024 and will be reviewing on a rolling basis until the job posting is removed.
MoveOn is a people-powered force for progress. We wield independent political power by bringing millions together to take action to create a country with a place of honor and dignity for everyone—where all are welcome, we take care of one another, and where everyone is set up to thrive.
For more than a generation, MoveOn has been a bulwark against the radical right and has channeled millions of voices to end wars, protect democracy, and advance justice for all. We’ve built political power for progressive change through mobilizing the left to Democrats so that we can advance our vision of an America for all.
MoveOn is the largest multi-issue digital first political campaigning organization in the country. We drive rapid-response campaigns at scale on a multitude of key issues at high-impact moments while building sustainable campaigns that resonate and grow over time. Whether its democracy, health care, foreign policy, economic justice, immigration or otherwise, MoveOn provides our members with timely ways to take action for change.
MoveOn is seeking a Data Manager to oversee the management of target audiences and associated data to power our electoral organizing program in order to maximize our impact.
The Data Manager will be responsible for building targeting, data capture, and reporting systems for our voter contact and volunteer recruitment program. This person should have a bird’s-eye view of our contact flows, overseeing the flow of data and providing insight into our progress contacting voters and volunteers throughout different phases of the program.
This role will also be responsible for setting up randomized audiences for testing alternative tactics or messages, working in partnership with MoveOn’s analytics team to analyze the test results and make actionable recommendations to improve the efficacy of our program.
- Own the curation and tracking of audience lists.
- Ensure voter contact data is normalized and matched across organizing tools, creating a centralized, high-confidence view of which individuals have and have not been canvassed, called or texted, removing opt-outs, hostile numbers, and people we have already contacted from future passes.
- Build high-quality target universes of MoveOn members blended with active voters who are most likely to respond to specific outreach tactics and asks.
- Ongoing assessment of volunteer capacity to plan for pulling appropriately sized contact lists in advance of weekly canvass, phone and text bank events, ensuring volunteers never run out of contacts to reach out to during shifts.
- Standardize survey questions/responses and tags across different scripts and tools.
- Create reports and visualizations tracking programmatic progress toward goals that provide actionable information to leadership spanning the Programs department.
- Upload contact lists and administration of data capture configuration within various voter contact tools ahead of outreach events.
- Work with the analytics team to identify MoveOn members most likely to sign up to volunteer, and establish systems for tracking and maintaining a roster of currently active volunteers and their activities.
- Set up randomized audiences for tactic and message testing, and evaluating the performance of different targeting strategies with support from MoveOn’s analytics team.
- Identify and document requests and processes that can be turned into time-saving automation specs, coordinating with engineering staff to implement as needed.
- As time allows, support the development of MoveOn’s integrated data schema by writing SQL code to standardize and migrate data from one system to another.
A successful candidate will …
- Have a strong attention to detail and be a curious, fearless learner and problem solver who can independently manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Be comfortable with digital technology, including learning to administer the voter contact tools used by MoveOn, as well as using internal communication tools like Slack.
- Have experience working directly with organizers and carefully listening to and translating request details from non-technical staff. Have proactive communication skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams working remotely in various time zones.
- Be familiar with voter education and managing voter contact across different states with different voting dates and rules.
- Have experience working with political data like state voter files, election results, or data on voter, volunteer, or donor engagement.
- Adopt a digital security mindset to protect member data privacy and craft data management systems that are resilient to data breaches.
Required skills and experience
- Strong proficiency with SQL querying is essential including query tuning and indexing (we use PostgreSQL in Amazon Redshift).
- At least one full cycle working on an electoral campaign or with an organization engaging in voter turnout
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working with large relational data systems
- Exposure to campaign tech (ThruTalk/Scale to Win, Spoke, ActionKit, Mobilize America, EveryAction, Upland Mobile Commons, etc.); familiarity with 10DLC regulation a plus
- Comfortable with internal tech and data processes employed by large organizations (e.g., using a data warehouse and submitting/managing tech requests)
- Experience designing and analyzing A/B tests is a plus
Reports to: Managing Director of Analytics
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. Will require occasional travel.
Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $94,309.60. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays (annually). We also offer a $1000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.