Data and Targeting Director
About NGP and NGPAF:
New Georgia Project (NGP) is a non-partisan, 501c3 nonprofit organization formed to register the unregistered people of color in the state of Georgia. Our work is based in registering and advocating for Georgians of color (Black, Latinos, Asian-Americans) while engaging them in the democratic process and participating in collective actions around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights and more.
New Georgia Project Action Fund (NGPAF) is NGP’s non-partisan, 501c4 affiliate organization. It was formed to increase the civic participation of underrepresented and underserved communities of color. NGPAF does this by engaging in local and state political campaigns, in support of, or opposition to, ballot measures, referendums, recalls, initiatives and candidacies for local and state offices.
NGP and NGPAF are vibrant, independent, fast-paced, non-partisan voter registration and civic organization that have seen explosive growth in the last twelve months and are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. NGP and NGPAF seek a passionate, collaborative, and innovative professional that will join the Organization during an exciting time of transformation.
Data is one of the most important and powerful tools NGP and NGPAF has to support our grassroots organizing and social change in Georgia. We are seeking a well-organized, self-starter for a full-time, year-round position as Data and Targeting Director (DTD). The DTD will manipulate data sets and perform analysis on diverse types of information to identify potential opportunities for our Organizing, Field, Communications and Development programs; collaborate with other teams in meeting their goals, including but not limited to working with our Executive, Organizing, Feld, Communications and Development teams; and administer our voter contact databases and train staff to use them as needed.
The incumbent in this position will leverage their decision-making abilities while utilizing strategic, results-driven, and strong leadership skills with a proven track record of success in similar roles of progressively greater responsibility. The ideal candidate will have a previous experience in data and targeting in candidate, issue and/or advocacy campaign and excellent relationship-building and communications capabilities. The DTD will show a capacity for flexibility, innovation and an adaptability to shifting priorities.
Because our target communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds, applicants need to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, race, equity and inclusion, and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. You’ll also need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and true collaboration, an ability to work quickly but carefully, and appreciation for/patience, and developing and growing your team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft voter target universes for all programs: NGP, NGPAF, and Voter Registration;
- Manage relationships with:
- Our data vendors and other data thought leaders we collaborate with
- Research team and implement appropriate findings and/or experimental set up
- Provide data, statistics and feedback on narrative and storytelling for Executive office, Communications and Development needs;
- Provide cross-department leadership and collaboration on data and program needs;
- Set up and maintain pipeline for Voter Registration matching + funneling into organizing and field programs;
- Manage the data team, including the analyst team, the Voter Registration team and/or consultants, including timelines, deliverables, professional development; and
- Convey complicated data, targeting, and analytic terms with colleagues and team members who are not experts.
- At least one full political cycle working in data leadership for a campaign or advocacy group;
- Expertise running data programs for volunteer and paid field canvass operations including Voter Activation Network (VAN) and the voter file;
- Advanced experience with SQL, relational databases, Google Sheet and/or Excel formulas, data pipelines, and organizing code and analytical output in GitHub;
- Experience building reports and data visualization (Tableau, Periscope, Excel, etc.) that identify important trends and presenting results to key stakeholders;
- Deep understanding of how data intersects with field, organizing, development and communications;
- Ability to communicate complicated data and analytics reports, systems and process with a cross section of stakeholders including those with less data expertise; and
- Experience managing full time staff, including setting goals and deadlines for other people, project management, giving feedback;
- Proven ability to prioritize and deliver on tight deadlines;
- Experience managing across and collaborating with diverse teams, personalities and expectations;
- Maintain a can do and solutions oriented attitude in all situations, especially tough situations;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekend;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with changing priorities, rapid response situations, and communicate clearly about deadlines and projects;
- Strong sense of organization and time management skills;
- Ability to work autonomously as well as in deep collaboration;
- Strong sense of urgency while remaining calm under pressure; and
- Commitment to the mission of NGP/NGPAF.
- Experience managing vendors;
- Experience working with polling data and message testing;
- Knowledge of statistical inference and experimental design;
- Experience evaluating and validating predictive models;
- R or Python knowledge;
- Comfort building reports in Periscope;
- Experience developing and conducting team-wide trainings; and
- Committed to teaching technical skills to others;
Scope and Impact:
The incumbent will have a passion and commitment for NGP’s and NGPAF’s mission, history, and its work. They will understand how this role contributes to the overall mission, drawing inspiration for the position of DTD from the community. The DTD will be an inspiring and empathic individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values, treating others with respect. Additionally, this position has recurring work situations that involve having a high degree of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of accepted programs and routines is high.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily works in an office environment with a desk, chair, and quality lighting;
- Due to COVID, the Data and Targeting team is currently working remotely. This role is currently fully remote working on US Eastern Time, and will be based in Atlanta, GA when we return to our offices (date TBD);
- Frequently required to sit for extended periods, reach with hands, fingers, and arms and speak and hear clearly;
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
- May infrequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; and
- The noise level in the work environment is typically low to moderate.