Senior Data Analyst
About NGP and NGPAF:
New Georgia Project (NGP) is a non-partisan, 501c3 nonprofit organization formed to register the unregistered people of color in the state of Georgia. Our work is based in registering and advocating for Georgians of color (Black, Latinos, Asian-Americans) while engaging them in the democratic process and participating in collective actions around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights and more.
New Georgia Project Action Fund (NGPAF) is NGP’s non-partisan, 501c4 affiliate organization. It was formed to increase the civic participation of underrepresented and underserved communities of color. NGPAF does this by engaging in local and state political campaigns, in support of, or opposition to, ballot measures, referendums, recalls, initiatives and candidacies for local and state offices.
NGP and NGPAF are vibrant, independent, fast-paced, non-partisan voter registration and civic organization that have seen explosive growth in the last twelve months and are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. NGP and NGPAF seek a passionate, collaborative, and innovative professional that will join the Organization during an exciting time of transformation.
Data is one of the most important and powerful tools NGP and NGPAF has to support our grassroots organizing and social change in Georgia. We are seeking a well-organized, self-starter for a full-time, year-round position as Senior Data Analyst (SDA). The SDA will mage workflow between the Data, Field and Organizing teams including list cutting, segmentation and other responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will have a previous issue, advocacy, and/or campaign experience in data analytics and good relationship-building and communications capabilities. The SDA will show a capacity for flexibility, innovation and an adaptability to shifting priorities.
Because our target communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds, applicants need to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, race, equity and inclusion, and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. You’ll also need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and true collaboration, an ability to work quickly but carefully, and appreciation for/patience, and developing and growing your team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage data and technical workflow with Field and Organizing teams;
- Manage outreach list cutting process start to finish;
- Manage EveryAction and VAN (e.g.: set up survey questions s, activist codes, manage permissions);
- Segment portions of the universe for vendors;
- Maintain Voter Registration pipeline and provide data to field and organizing staff as needed, works closely with Voter Registration/Quality Control teams;
- Lead data syncs processes with vendors to ensure accuracy and coverage; and
- Convey complicated data, targeting, and analytic terms with colleagues and team members who are not experts.
- At least a year of working as an analyst using SQL;
- Proven experience and comfort with data quality control;
- Able to learn organizing tools quickly and thoroughly;
- Experience connecting data to issue, advocacy and/or candidate voter outreach programs and targets;
- Ability to communicate complicated data and analytics reports, systems and process with a cross section of stakeholders including those with less data expertise;
- Experience managing across and collaborating with diverse teams, personalities and expectations;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekend; and
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with changing priorities, rapid response situations, and communicate clearly about deadlines and projects;
- Passionate about teaching technical skills to others;
- Maintain a can do, innovative and solutions-oriented attitude in all situations, especially tough situations;
- Strong sense of organization and time management skills;
- Proven ability to prioritize and deliver on tight deadlines;
- Ability to work autonomously as well as in deep collaboration;
- Strong sense of urgency while remaining calm under pressure; and
- Commitment to the mission of NGP/NGPAF.
- R or Python knowledge;
- Experience working with VAN, EveryAction, ThruTalk, ThruText, or other field tools
- Canvassing or phone banking experience (as staff or as a volunteer)
- Comfort utilizing and/or evaluating predictive modeling
- Experience using GitHub; and
- Comfort building reports in Periscope
Scope and Impact:
The incumbent will have a passion and commitment for NGP’s and NGPAF’s mission, history, and its work. They will understand how this role contributes to the overall mission, drawing inspiration for the position of SDA from the community. The SDA will be an inspiring and empathic individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values, treating others with respect. Additionally, this position has recurring work situations that involve having a high degree of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of accepted programs and routines is high.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in an office environment with a desk, chair, and quality lighting;
- Due to COVID, the Data and Targeting team is currently working remotely. This role is currently fully remote working on US Eastern Time, and will be based in Atlanta, GA when we return to our offices (date TBD);
- Frequently required to sit for extended periods, reach with hands, fingers, and arms and speak and hear clearly;
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
- May infrequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; and
- The noise level in the work environment is typically low to moderate.