Senior Director of Political Data
Global Strategy Group | On-site | Permanent
Global Strategy Group is the largest Democratic polling firm in the country – we have polled in more races than any other Democratic polling firm since the 2010 cycle. After historic wins in the 2018 midterm elections, 2020 is a critical election cycle for Democrats, with hopes of maintaining a majority in the U.S. House, recapturing the U.S. Senate, and of course, winning the presidency. In addition to many of our 2018 clients that are up for re-election, we have a large slate of candidates across the country in some of the highest-profile races. GSG’s political clients include multiple engagements at the president level, 4 U.S. Senate candidates, over 40 U.S. House candidates, 4 gubernatorial candidates, and IE work with every major Democratic organization involved in 2020.
We are seeking a political data expert to lead the data team post-2020 election cycle. We will be considering candidates who are available now, as well as those who are available after the election.
The Senior Director of Political Data will set best practices for accurately targeting and weighting likely voters and implement new polling methodologies. The ideal candidate enjoys engaging in high-level methodological discussions, while, at the same time, enjoys getting into the nitty gritty – analyzing voter files, building sampling scripts in SQL, and working closely with junior data team members to streamline existing processes.
As you can expect from a firm based in politics, GSG’s work environment is fast-paced and demanding – especially at the height of the political season. Ideal candidates will thrive in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment and be dedicated to providing excellent client service.
- Analyzing voter file data to inform accurate targeting, modeling, and weighting of likely voters across all GSG polls
- Learning our current system and identifying opportunities to streamline the process
- Identifying and experimenting with new polling methodologies
- Acting as the first-line troubleshooter for methodological issues as they arise
- Maintaining GSG’s various voter databases and the processes we use to query them
- Training and coaching junior data team members
- Managing data team members
- Representing GSG in the progressive data community
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in democratic politics, including 4+ years of experience using and analyzing voter files and/or political polling
- Multiple cycles of experience in data roles with campaigns or political organizations
- Extensive experience with voter files and other individual level data sources, such as consumer databases
- Expert in weighting data and developing likely voter models
- Extensive survey methodology and research experience
- Experience with advanced techniques in political research design, including predictive models
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Excellent project management, prioritization, and organizational skills, with a keen eye for detail
- A motivated self-starter, able to work with minimal direction, efficiently and independently
- Fluent in SQL, R, and Python
- Advanced experience in polling or opinion research preferred
- Relationships in the Democratic and progressive data practitioner’s community preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff effectively preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or other advanced degree in a related field is a plus
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please send your information our way!
When submitting your resume, please include a cover letter which highlights your relevant experience, along with why you want to be a part of the team at GSG. We are interested in candidates who align with our mission and want to contribute to our continued growth.
Candidates who match the needs for the position will be contacted via email.