Director – Technology and Communications Practice
Waxman Strategies, a mission-based policy and communications firm led by former congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Director to support our growing client list of emerging tech innovators and organizations advancing technology in the public interest. We’re looking for a talented Director who can think creatively, interface confidently with clients, build deep relationships with journalists and respond nimbly to breaking news and rapidly evolving campaign scenarios.
Who We Are:
Waxman Strategies provides strategic communications, advocacy, and policy counsel to organizations working primarily in the areas of technology, health, and the environment. Our Tech Practice serves a range of clients advancing public interest solutions, including innovators and startups, investors, accelerators/incubators and associations, foundations, and non-profit organizations. From company and product launches, to thought leadership content and events, joining the Waxman team is a chance to work with some of the smartest creative minds in health tech and climate tech. Here you will be part of a growing team of communications professionals working collaboratively to accelerate technology solutions for some of the world’s biggest challenges: advanced diagnostics for infectious disease; innovation in nutrition and food systems; advancing zero waste goals for smart cities; tech solutions for carbon drawdown; aligning the investment sector with the sustainability and racial equity movements; commercializing autonomous transportation solutions; and more.
- Managing and serving as the primary contact for a portfolio of 4 to 5 clients.
- Active participation to ensure the success of client accounts, which involves developing and implementing integrated communications strategies, plans and campaigns calibrated to achieve short and long term objectives.
- Ensuring deadlines and quality of work expectations are met.
- Working closely with clients to develop effective messaging for targeted audiences, securing speaking engagements and identifying and securing opportunities to enhance clients’ position in the market.
- Managing thought leadership programs, including crafting materials, press releases, fact sheets, presentations, and contributed content such as op-eds, bylines, and blog posts; and driving industry thought leadership campaigns for clients.
- Cultivating strong industry relationships with media, analysts, and other influencers; actively pitching stories and generating coverage.
- Building a comprehensive knowledge of client business and competition; keeping on top of client industry topics; monitoring and reacting to industry news and trends.
- Managing team resources and effectively coordinating work both up and down within teams as issues arise to meet or exceed agreed-upon metrics.
- Playing an active role in generating new business including research, brainstorming, proposal creation and presenting at new business meetings and pitches.
Please note: The Director will not immediately oversee staff but could do so in the near future.
What we’re looking for in you:
- A minimum of 6 years of communications or PR experience, including direct client service/management, preferably at an agency.
- Strong leadership abilities and capacity to effectively project-manage and lead a team.
- Ambition to take on innovative campaigns, capitalize on media opportunities, drive communications program activity, and evaluate campaign results against objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, which includes such tasks as effectively drafting talking points and press materials and jumping on the phone to pitch a reporter.
- A commitment to coaching and mentoring junior staff, as well as long term professional development growth for colleagues across the firm.
- A commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
Experience in managing PR campaigns for companies in clean tech and health tech is a plus.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including having worked at federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to the Managing Director of our Technology Practice and work with the rest of the Tech team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $76K to $95K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.