Grow Progress is hiring a software engineer to build cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a team that’s pioneering a new approach to persuasion: giving our customers the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look.
If you want to make a big social impact and grow your skill set by building products from the ground up, we hope you’ll apply.
Who We Are
- Grow Progress gives our customers the power to persuade more people by tailoring their messages to match each audience member’s identity. We help customers harness the latest persuasion science to create messaging that’s typically 200% to 500% more effective than their existing ads. We do this by predicting which personality traits and values are most important to each individual based on their digital footprints.
- We’re using this tech to super-power campaigns, causes, and companies that make the world a better place. We currently work with many of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, advocacy groups, and labor unions in the country.
- We’re a team of experienced campaigners and data scientists who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good advocates more effective. We’re ambitious, efficient, low-ego, and we like to make each other laugh.
About The Position
- You will work closely with and report to the Lead Software Engineer.
- By being at the ground floor of a rapidly expanding company that’s pioneering a new technology, you will have a lot of opportunities to expand your horizons and learn new skills.
- As part of a small team, you will have direct access to everyone at the company and will work closely with the CEO.
- We think the ideal candidate is likely to have 3-10 years of experience, but don’t let that stop you if you have more years under your belt and you’re still interested.
About Our Stack
- Grow Progress builds on AWS Resources: specifically EC2, Lambda, S3, SQS, & Redshift. Lambda functions are built in TypeScript or Node.js.
- We maintain a Vertica cluster for production data.
- Client Facing tools are built in Laravel (PHP) and Vue.js.
- Code is version controlled with GIT.
- Local development is done with Docker.
- You have experience in web development; specifically with data-driven websites.
- You have proficiency programming in PHP, Laravel, and Vue.js.
- You have experience working with AWS infrastructure.
- You are comfortable working in a small team environment, can take ownership of your projects, and can effectively communicate and advocate for your ideas.
- As part of a small team, you are willing to take on tasks that may be outside of your comfort zone.
- You are eager to learn new skills and not afraid to fail quickly.
- You can communicate technical issues with both technical and non-technical teammates.
- You are comfortable debugging, fixing, improving, and QAing software that you may not have built.
- You are comfortable with version controlling your code and collaborating with others.
- You have US work authorization.
- You have progressive values.
- You have worked with campaigns or advocacy organizations.
- You have worked with digital advertising platforms like Facebook and YouTube.
More About Grow Progress
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We aim to cultivate an environment where data drives our decisions rather than just anecdotes, and where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise. We work hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
We’re also committed to building a diverse company. We’re an equal opportunity employer. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veteran status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: DC preferred, remote within the United States for the right candidate. Everyone on our team is currently remote during the pandemic.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $120,000 plus equity, depending on skill level, location, and experience.