Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at nearly 75 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative — our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
This is an excellent role for someone just starting their data career or transitioning into data. Our team is currently 16 team members, and we highly value collaboration and teamwork. This role has substantial opportunity for growth and development and is a potential stepping stone to becoming a Data and Technology Strategist.
TMC membership gives organizations full access to our data warehouse and analytics platform and unlimited access to national voter/consumer files. Our team provides the technical assistance and expertise that our member organizations need to get started and then ongoing support to achieve their goals and maximize their impact. The Data Associate will ensure that Members immediate data and access needs are met, and that our team is organized internally and delivering high-quality work. This role is temporary through the end of 2024, with the possibility of renewal.
- Offer thoughtful, thorough, and speedy data and technology service and support to diverse members with varying needs and levels of technical expertise
- Ensure member staff have needed access and permissions to tools and resources
- Use SQL to complete list pulls, list matches, or other scripts and be the default reviewer for SQL changes
- Set up scheduled templated syncs upon member request
- Auditing user accounts across our tools like Civis and Periscope by Sisense
- Improve and create documentation around the Tech constellation processes essential for smooth team operations
- Updating, reviewing, and maintaining our data visualization tools and products to ensure members have access and get value from the visualizations available to them
- Escalating complex requests to broader team for assignment to a Strategist
- Dedication to our members and furthering their reach and impact, along with broader progressive issues and campaigns
- Novice to basic SQL skills
- A desire to continuously learn new things
- Strong customer support acumen: an ability to distill complex ideas into simple language and can communicate with clarity and respect to satisfy member needs
- Able to communicate and collaborate within a team, other departments, vendors, partners, etc.
- Comfort communicating via remote work tools like Slack and Zoom
- Passionate about diversity, equity, and inclusion and a commitment to incorporating these values into your everyday work with your peers and broader TMC membership
- Excellent organizational practices, along with strong project and time management skills
We especially encourage applications from people who have any of these additional qualifications:
- Experience interacting with (and even maybe analyzing) the voter file, census data and/or another large dataset
- Experience working on campaigns, electorally-focused, or advocacy organizations, in either a staff or volunteer capacity
- Experience with data visualization
- Moderate or better SQL ability
- Experience with NGP VAN, ActionKit, ActionNetwork, or other commonly used progressive tools as a user and/or an administrator
- Prolonged periods of working on a computer
The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, unlimited paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leaves, and health and wellness benefits. The salary for this position is $65,000 USD annually. This is a full-time exempt position.
This role is temporary through the end of 2024, with the possibility of renewal.
This position is within a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future collective bargaining agreement between TMC and the Union.
Please submit your resume and your response to this required exercise, in PDF format, before 6pm ET on November 21, 2023.
Here’s what you can expect from our interview process:
- Application Review
- Panel interview – 60 minutes
- Interview with hiring manager – 30 minutes
We are looking to fill this position by January 8, 2024
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.